Search This Blog

Friday 5 March 2010

A Blast with Microwave

I heat up my hot water in my mug for coffee in the microwave.  I've been doing that for years.  Last year we finally got a microwave with a digital timer, rather than a knob you turn with minutes marked on it - it's far more accurate.  Gee, the old one it replaced could go either 90 seconds or 150 seconds if you'd set it for two minutes.  It was always a bit of a lottery.

Anyway, my mug takes 2:20 to heat up to the ultimate temperature.  So for ease of use, I enter 2:22 and press go.  The number of times I've keybounced on the "2" and gone to put the coffee on for 22 hrs and 22 mins is amazing.

I'm wondering why the microwave doesn't have a failsafe check in there.  After all, what on earth would you ever want to microwave for nearly an entire day and night?  What would be left of it after being subject to such a treatment?  We're talking a microwave oven here - the capacity of which would be limited to something about the size of a shoebox.  Even if it was that big I shudder to think what would become of it should it be subjected to a microwave bombardment for that long.

I've always managed to catch the error and re-enter the time so far.  Ever may that be the case, as even leaving it on for half an hour would have dire consequences.  Although mind you I'd probably be wanting my coffee before then!

No comments:

Post a Comment