Search This Blog

Tuesday 14 September 2010

Speaking on behalf of?

I recently posted an email containing comments about the proposed Wyong Shire Cultural Centre, and have published the spruced-up text of that email here on the blog.

Strange thing has happened.  It has been contended that my comments were purporting to be that of Wyong Drama Group.  How the hell this can be inferred is a little beyond me.  I reckon it's pretty obvious from reading the comments that the opinions are mine and mine only.

Granted, I am a member of Wyong Drama Group (I have been since 1987 and was made a Life Member back in 2002).  So I am sort of stuck with the brand.  In fact, I am probably never going to be able to cease being a member of Wyong Drama Group.  However, the way it's going, if I go down to the shops and buy a couple of litres of milk, I'd be not surprised to hear that I was speaking on behalf of the group - and I know at this point in time with about 4 litres of UHT milk in the Green Room fridge, Wyong Drama Group does not actually require 2 litres of milk!!!  Therefore I speak with forked tongue!!!  Okay, ridiculous, but exactly the point, it IS ridiculous to assume I speak on behalf of Wyong Drama Group when I simply mention that I am a member.

If I was not a member of the Drama Group then I'd say my association with Wyong Memorial Hall would not have been as initimate or as long, and I'd not know about the sort of audiences we get to WDG shows.  However guys, let's amke a deal.  Unless I specifically say "I AM SPEAKING ON BEHALF OF WYONG DRAMA GROUP" (and hell, to do so I will get a motion from a meeting to do so) then please assume that I am actually expressing my own opinion.  I mean, really.  Some of the words like "I reckon" and "personally" must surely indicate that the comments are opinions of the author of the opinion and no-one else.

No comments:

Post a Comment