Search This Blog

Thursday 3 January 2013

Busking - Beatles Night

Wow, that was great. Didn't get out till 7:40pm, went to 10:20pm (2hrs 40 - so a comparatively short session tonight).  But bang on my overall average $ per hour.

The Beatles songs were INCREDIBLY popular and very well received. I did about half of them twice (the other half once) and got up to "Maxwell's Silver Hammer" which is the first "M" entry.

Most of the songs are absolutely brilliant done on the street with solo guitar and vocals.

Some highlights (nowhere near all the ones I played) - All My Loving, Another Day, Back in the USSR, Ballad of John & Yoko, Blackbird, Can't Buy Me Love, Come Together, Dear Prudence, Eight Days a a Week, Goodbye, Hello/Goodbye, Help!, Here There & Everywhere, Hey Jude, I Saw Her Standing There, I'm a Loser, I'm Only Sleeping, In My Life, I've Just Seen a Face, Lady Madonna, Lucy in the Sky with Diamond and Maxwell himself (which I actually did 3 times).

I think achieving the average hourly rate on a WEDNESDAY night indicates these Beatles Songs are pure gold. I've been out Wednesdays twice before and the average for a Wednesday less. Do the Beatles add $10 an hour to the take? I'm going to see what happens Friday playing probably 75% Beatles (need to practice the Red Book songs a bit - not necessarily daily, but you can't leave them a week otherwise you tend to be a bit vague when you play them again - except for certain songs I can always play - usually the ones I actually KNOW and don't need to follow the music for).

Overall, a great return for a short practice session opposite the beach. Also saw a young Tenor Sax player on the Esplanade, he packed up about 8:30 pm: not sure how long he had been out. Spoke to him when passing and noted I usually did better when there were two of us out rather than on my own. People seem to get a heightened awareness of us as Buskers, and like to vote with their coins. If it were just me, they might just keep walking, but with a second guy out, I reckon I definitely do draw in more. Assuming the other guy gets the same or more, too, it means competition is a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment