Search This Blog

Tuesday 15 January 2013

Busking - The things you get

There's always an interesting array of STUFF you get in the guitar case.  The first time it happened to me was on my second-ever session.  I was up at the Crowne Plaza hotel near the taxi rank.  It must have been about half past eleven, and I could see someone putting something down next to the guitar case.  It turned out to be 24 Chocolate liqueurs, exactly as pictured!

On the same night, and probably left by the same guy was the most interesting thing I'vehad to date, and it will probably hold the record for a while. Kama Sutra Oil of Love.  Whatever that is...  I can only speculate as to why *I* got these things, and not the probable original intendee.  I'm assuming he brought them with him to give to a potential new mate, and the night didn't go so well, he was stuck with them and I got them instead.  Well, I've eaten the chocolate liqueurs, but I've put the Kama Sutra Oil in my glory box.

Sometimes you get UNWANTED things.  About a week ago when I was scraping up the money from the guitar case, it was immediately obvious that all the coins were wet!!!  It seemed to be only water, and upon further rummaging I noticed a few small fragments of ice.  Some joker had put a few ice-cubes in while passing.  I heard them go in, too - there was a funny chinking noise, but when I looked down at the guitar case I couldn't see anything wrong.  Fortunately I mopped it up with my towel (I always take two) and was able to carry the guitar home in the case and open it up to dry it out later.

I've had an assortment of foreign currency.  I first got some new New Zealand coins (20 NZc passed off as a ten cent coin), then some from Papua New Guinea, Indonesia and Malaysia.  There seemed to be a definite trend among the Asia-Pacific region from south-east to north-west, until I got a coin from Switzerland (I suppose that is still north-west, just a lot further).  I even got a one US dollar bill a few nights ago.  The thing is only worth 95c.  I wonder how much a bank would charge to convert it, and whether they would actually want me to pay them MORE than the $US1 bill...

No comments:

Post a Comment