Search This Blog

Saturday 16 February 2013

Trying my luck in the big city


On Tuesday I went down to Sydney to arrange my Sydney City Council busking permit.  I had also applied for another permit over the weekend online with the Sydney Harbour Foreshore Authority, and it arrived in the mail on Tuesday.

So, come Wednesday, off I went on a train to the big smoke.  I started playing on the train.  The commuters were absolutely stoked to have live music in the train carriage, and I got a few applauses after songs. When I got to Woy Woy I listened carefully to the announcement "Next stop is Hornsby, etc".  I know that voice!  So I got on the phone "Glen, are you on a southbound V-series, just out of Woy Woy?"  It was my good mate Glen Duffey who I met at First Budgewoi Cub Pack in 1975, and then later went to High School with him (1977-1980).

I was in carriage 3, so couldn't get back to see him, as the doorway between cars 4 & 5 is locked.  So I told him I'd walk along the platform at Hornsby and get down to the back.  So I kept playing until about Asquith, then slipped down from Car 3 to Car 6 on the platform, and made my way to the back of the train.  Not an easy task getting through the doors between the carriages with a guitar and bag.  And I'm really glad I decided against taking my drum throne to sit on, as it was too heavy.  I put it in the bag before leaving, and then immediately took it out again, as it was just too heavy (weighs 6kg according to its box).

So I chatted with Glen for the rest of the trip as he jumped out at various stations, blowing his whistle and then making announcements.  I did the swapover at Central from the country to the city platforms, got myself down to Circular Quay and looked down from the station.  I couldn't see a single busker out, so I had ideas I'd do all right.  I started at about 4pm near the Toaster on the walkway to the Opera House.  Magic spot, and there was a park bench nearby so I sat on that and played the Rodgers & Hammerstein book (about 9 songs I think) and got the grand total of 90c.  This spot is known as Busking Pitch #2, Circular Quay.

So I thought I'd move, and went down to Busking Pitch #5, which is between wharves 4 & 5, and in the picture above.  I had to stand there, and it wasn't so bad.  I've always sat to busk before, so standing meant I had to learn a few techniques, such as not falling over backwards, but it gives the opportunity to really get into a song by doing a few steps, a la the Shadows.  Come 6 O'clock I needed a rest, and it was incredibly humid and I was sweating profusely (as usual).  So I got myself a junior whopper and a drink and sat in the air-conditioned area at Hungry Jack's on the Quay.  I stayed there nearly an hour while I dried out.

I thought I'd try a different spot when getting back out again, so I moved up to Busking Pitch #8, where there was a convenient park bench I was able to take over.  This is right at the Rocks corner of the Circular Quay wharves.


The picture is from the bench, the Museum of Contemporary Art is on the right of the picture out of shot, and behind the park is George Street.  I was encouraged as I got some coins in the chorus of the very first song, but alas, still really bad.

In total I got $25.85 for nearly four hours playing plus an hour forty minutes on the train each way, so in effect 7 hours to get less than $4 an hour.  Gee, it was like driving a taxi on a Monday or Tuesday night, and I gave that up over twenty years ago.

On the train on the way back, I was sitting in the 3-seat spot at the end of the carriage opposite a young guy.  He got out at Strathfield and I was sitting there looking at the guitar... Looking, looking...  Out it came and I started playing again.  After about 20 minutes a 20-something Asian girl stood up and said "Can you turn that down, please?".  I was playing an acoustic guitar, really quietly without a plectrum, so the answer was not really, no.  I shot back with "Can you move to a quiet carriage, please?" and kept playing all the way from Strathfield to Woy Woy.  As I was singing "My Favourite Things" from the "Sound of Music", I could hear this voice echoing through the carriage.  Weird acoustics?  Nah, the guy in the seat opposite had joined in.  I reckon I had more fun on the train trips down and back than the busking session, and as I got out at Gosford, one guy said if he'd had money he would have given it to me.  It made the trip back absolutely fantastic, I was in the Woy Woy tunnel before knowing it - it's normally a really boring trip from Berowra, over the Hawkesbury and through Wondabyne at night.  But the time just flew, and with one exception, I think the guys in the carriage were quite chuffed.  How often does someone start singing and playing guitar when you're on a train?

I went to Terrigal last night (Friday) and got the third highest takings ever (second to Australia Day and New Years Eve), $33.65 an hour.  Plus I can drive there from home in 20 minutes and take the seat without much hassle.  It might be a while before I get down to Sydney again.  Terrigal is treating me extremely well, so I really need to keep supporting Terrigal.  Plus the words of encouragement from passers-by are magic.

Why so bad?  Definitely the day.  The fact there were no other buskers out points to that.  Maybe the time? From 4pm onwards a lot of people are racing for their ferries - you often see a dozen people bolting for a wharf just as a ferry is about to pull out.  Maybe the spot?  There are hundreds of other spots I could go - maybe Martin Place or Pitt Street would be better?  Going to Sydney is a hell of a risk, Terrigal is more certain for me at the moment.  I'll give it a go later - I have a doctor's appointment in Chatswood on Friday - I'm thinking of heading down after that, maybe.  It's hard work busking in Sydney, so it's going to have to be really good to make it worth my while.  Who knows.  Any comments with suggestions, PLEASE leave them on the blog.  You can do it anonymously or under an assumed name if you like.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you're having a fantastic time Pete, even if the dollars aren't always worth it. Its nice to be able to say you love your job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that picture was REALLY nice. It was hard work, though. Have just had three really good days at Terrigal. I'll be back home on Friday. I'm starting to get known at Terrigal, too says the word on the street.

      Delete