Search This Blog

Tuesday 8 December 2009

Turn of phrase, no?

I recently left a comment on Adrian Neylan's blog where he had an 87 year old woman in the taxi who was a real inspiration.  I typed "Adrian, she's 87, no?" quite unwittingly.

Another reader has taken offence at the expression "... , no?" and this is naturally his right.  But it has gotten me thinking what the alternatives are.  Quite clearly the construction is designed to be egging you on to agree with me, no?  The same can also be indicated by the opposite term, yes?  It is one of several cases in the English language where "yes" actually means the same as "no", no?  Yeah, no, yeah, no...  (Forgive me for answering my rhetorical questions)

Years ago we would have simply said, "eh?".  Sounds like what my Uncle Dudley would have said, eh?  Modern expression has turned this more colloquial linguistic form into a more formal form, and instead of using the slang form "eh?" we've converted to using the actual words "no" or "yes" instead.  It is a phenomenon not only in Australian usage, but quite definitely English as well.  I'm not too sure how common it is in American...

Like it or not, it seems to be quite a prevalent occurence in modern parlance, and is here to stay, no?  I'm sorry, I should stop using it, yes?  I'm glad you all agree with me on that one, eh?

Enough!  While on the subject, however, I am reminded of an old TV commercial for NRMA Finance with Doug Scroope in it.  (This is pre-de-mutualisation of course).  NRMA Finance had been awarded a triple-A credit rating.  The last line of the ad from Doug was "NRMA, AAA?, Eh?"

No comments:

Post a Comment