Search This Blog

Wednesday 2 December 2009

Enough, already!

See all those brochures on the right?  That's what arrived in the mailbox yesterday.  22 individual flyers! 

I'm all for freedom of the press, and I don't have a "No Junk Mail" sticker on the letterbox.  Hell, a number of years ago, I actually used to deliver the things, and I also have a good mate who used to be an area supervisor for one of the main printing and distribution companies.

How I can even get through this much information in a day or two I do not know.  And in the last few months it has been very similar, at least fifteen, maybe twenty brochures on some days.

I am simply going to have to resort to chucking the lot in the recycling bin.  It is a simple case of overwhelming me with information I can no longer possibly keep up with.  And don't the advertisers know it?  Their advertising dollar is simply going to waste, because unless you are retired and/or have absolutely nothing else to do with your life, it'd take a couple of days to carefully consider all the offers provided in this little lot.  And if you did have the time to peruse the offers comprehensively, your economic situation wouldn't make you a member of those able to afford the offers anyway, if you get my drift!

I used to browse the brochures.  In fact I even need to get a Christmas present for my mother who is the most difficult person on earth to buy presents for, and there might be something appropriate here.  But due to the sheer volume I don't find this useful at all.

When I used to deliver this stuff (when I was fresh out of High School, before I started driving cabs) we rarely used to get to deliver more than one brochure at a time.  When my mate was an area supervisor, I actually went out on a few delivery runs with him to give him a hand when his regular deliverers had let him down or he needed an area covered urgently.  At this time we'd sometimes get to do four or five brochures at a time.  But the time when you'd be doing twenty-odd brouchures simultaneously is mind-boggling.  The logistics are crazy - you'd be battling to physically carry more than about 50 sets of brochures in a backpack, so you'd need to be constantly returning to the car for refills.  And you'd need to spend hours collating all the brochures into sets of twenty-odd.

I did see one brochure deliverer using a newspaper rolling machine at one stage, given the number we got yesterday, it would have come in very handy.

The whole concept must be an incredible use of resources and environmentally damaging.  I hope the number of brochures returns to a manageable level, otherwise I am going to have to resort to the sign!  Maybe as Christmas comes and goes it'll be all right again.

                         
Finally, may I apologise for missing the blog these last couple of days, when you have a bad few days, even blogging becomes out of the question!

2 comments:

  1. Tis the season to be jolly and line the pockets of the retailers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you ask the retailers, it's probably ALWAYS the season to line their pockets!

    ReplyDelete