Search This Blog

Monday 9 November 2009

If there's a job to be done...

Speaking generally, if there's a job to be done, then I find it's best to do it.  I don't think that's the general attitude, however.  Often the mentality must be, if there's a job to be done, someone else will do it!

"They oughta do something about ...".  "Why don't they ... ?"  "If only someone would ... "

Have you heard them all before?  Who are "they" and "someone"?  In many cases you can replace these pronouns with "me" or "I" and with amazingly efficient results.

When I was a taxi radio operator, I'd occasionally get a transmission from a driver: "Base, there's a wheelie bin on the road in Darby Street, near Parkway Avenue".  When I used to drive, if I were vacant, I'd simply stop, get out of the car, and move the bin off the road!  Problem solved, job done.  Now as a radio operator, receiving such a transmission, all you can do is say "Cars show caution at Darby/Parkway there's a wheelie bin in the road" and at least half a dozen taxi drivers will know about it.  However as for all the other vehicles on the road??  And I doubt whether other networks would appreciate me ringing up and reporting the matter, I think the ambos and police might have better things to do!

Today I experienced a similar situation in packing up the hall after the show.  Whilst there were quite a few hard workers getting amongst the nitty gritty, there were others who didn't.  I think the difference is some people say, "they need to do something about it" whereas others say "we need to do something about it" and there's a whole world of difference in that pronoun you're using.  Who are they?  We are they!

No comments:

Post a Comment