Search This Blog

Tuesday 10 November 2009

It's big, isn't it?


I'm now editing a video file that is in two parts, both just a tad over thirteen gigabytes long.  27 gigabytes total.

To put this into perspective, the first hard drive I ever owned (1988) was 80 MEGAbytes in size.  And at that point in time, that was comparatively large.  These files I am now working on, would have filled my old hard drive 337 times over.  I'm not sure about you, but 337 half-height Quantum SCSI Fireballs would take up a hell of a lot of room.  And the hard drive I've got these files on now, is precisely the SAME SIZE as the 20-year old one.

My first hard drive cost $1,900 all up.  The 1 terabyte external drive I now have (which I bought for $249, but is now obtainable for $149) at these 1988 prices (ie $23.75 per megabyte) would have cost over twenty four million dollars.  And I shudder to think how big it would have been!

If I were paying today's prices for my first hard drive, it would have cost 1.2 cents.  The mind boggles as to what is coming next!

No comments:

Post a Comment