Search This Blog

Tuesday 24 November 2009

Strangeness on a train

Hell, I'm not a commuter, so if you are, you can probably skip this blog entry calling me a n00by big time.

Yesterday I got a train down to my rheumatologist at Chatswood.  The trains from Gosford heading up the line are not all too frequent in the middle of the day (maximum two an hour) but from Hornsby they are much more prevalent.  So we had the chance to take a train a lot earlier than necessary from Hornsby.  So we checked out the new Macquarie Park detour when changing from Hornsby rather than straight down the North Shore Line.

I wasn't aware that for the entire journey from Epping to Chatswood we would not see the light of day!  And it seems the three stations on the way (Macquarie Uni, Macquarie park and North Ryde) were all bought from the same shop.  Architecturally, looking from the train, they are almost identical.  I reckon so many people are going to get off at Macquarie Uni saying "Damn, I've done it again, I meant to go to Macquarie Park" as the stations look the same and the first word IS exactly the same.

But what really amazed me was coming home.  We entered a crowded carriage, and I observed almost half of the passengers were mucking around with their i-phones, calling up various apps, and I even saw a few of them googling various things.  My mind boggles as to why it is necessary to google things while sitting on a train?  Surely the cost of wireless internet access makes it far too expensive a prospect??  It cannot be so important that it justifies using Google RIGHT NOW???  Obviously, to some people, it is that important.

I would call myself a computer geek, having had one since the age of fifteen, but I draw the line at googling a word whilst travelling on a train.  I would wait until I got home (or better yet, back to work the next day so work would be paying for the internet access!)

Then again, you are also reading a blog from someone who does not own a mobile phone...  Am I a weirdo or are there any others out there like me who do not have a mobile (cell) phone as of yet????

No comments:

Post a Comment