Search This Blog

Sunday 29 November 2009

Location, Location?

As I mentioned a few posts ago, I went to drive cabs in Newcastle after an abortive start at Toukley, and so had to pass a locality test, sit a safety lecture, and attend a training session run by Newcastle Taxis.  I did this in early 1983.  It was a good system, well thought out and organised.  The locality test was conducted at the Newcastle West branch of the RTA, and involved learning about 12 foolscap pages of locations, landmarks and shortest routes to and from about a dozen sample landmarks.

At the time I did the test, I had never lived in Newcastle, and had absolutely no idea where anything was.

I wasn't letting that stop me from getting my licence, however, so I memorised the sheets completely parrot-fashion, and could reel them off verbatim.  Except the churches...  I simply didn't bother to learn them at all (I was an atheist in those days, things have changed now, but that's yet another story).

When I went into the RTA, there was a young lady administering the test.  I had done the safety lecture and training session at the Co-op, and that part had been signed off on.  I had to demonstrate suitable command of the English language, which wasn't really a problem, had to pass an eyesight test (gee I wish my vision was that good now), and then do the locality test.  Since I already had a Class 2A licence, I didn't have to do another driving test.

I started well, naming most of the locations I was asked for.  I stumbled over the "Civic Hotel" which I had learnt was in Hunter Street, Newcastle.  "Ah, but Hunter Street is a long street, where is it near?"  "I don't know, I've only learnt Hunter Street"  (The answer is between Burwood Street and Auckland Street, I know that NOW, of course, but not then).  Anyway, she let me off on that one.  She then asked me where one of the churches was.  "I don't know, I haven't learnt any of the churches".  I was then asked for ANOTHER church, which confirmed her suspicions, and used up my two incorrect answers I was allowed.  "Better not ask me any more churches".  Fortunately she took the hint.

I got all the rest of the locations right, was able to list the shortest routes between A & B by reciting the street names in between, and about fifteen minutes later I had a nice blue taxi book in my name.

I still had no idea where anything in Newcastle was, of course.

But hell, you soon learn.  After three or four years I remember I had a shift where I didn't have to use the street directory at all for the entire shift.  I remember this shift well, because it only ever happened once!  I suppose the GPS is going to be well-used by taxi drivers nowadays?  I'm happy to say I still don't have one to this day.  Mind you if I were still driving cabs, I'd say I'd have bitten the bullet long ago.  I'd probably have a mobile phone, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment