Search This Blog

Thursday 5 November 2009

Uncle Ben's (?)


Ever wondered about this stuff?  "Uncle Ben's" rice.  It's part of the almost total americanisation process happening here in Australia.  (Notice how I spelt it with an "s" to resist the americanisation itself?)

Apparently this has been a leading brand of parboiled rice in the USA for forty or fifty years.  The brand name is now like a common noun over there (eg vaseline, hoover, glad wrap, etc).

And I've been noticing it in Woolies and Coles over here of late.  It's owned by the multinational  giant Mars, and is yet another one of their brands.  But I doubt I'll ever be able to bring myself to buy it.

Hands up those of you who owned a dog in the 70s ?  And hands up those of you who used to feed it Pal?  And hands up those of you who remember the name of the company who used to manufacture Pal????

You can now see why I'm loathe to go anywhere near a brand like this...

No comments:

Post a Comment